By Jeannette Holland Austin
If you are fond of antiques and come across some old English silver, examine the piece to see if you can find a family insignia stamped on the bottom. Those who possessed a legal right to the coats-of-arms engraved symbols on personal property. Such items were listed in the inventories of their estates. Also, the custom of carving coats-of-arms upon tombstones was a general practice in the colony (as it was in the Mother Country) . It was not an uncommon provision for the deceased in his last will and testament to provide that the coat-of-arms should be stamped in brass (or chiseled) upon his tombstone. In 1674, Colonel Richard Cole gave directions that a slab of black marble, bearing his coat-of-arms be engraved in this metal and that, after his death, it should be purchased in England, brought over, and laid on the spot where he desired his body to be buried. This is the sort of information found in the old Wills and Estates which provide interesting stories to pass down. Source: Westmoreland County Records, Vol. 1665-77, page 186.
Grayson County, Virginia Genealogy, Wills, Estates, Indexes to Probate Records
Grayson County was formed in 1792 from Wythe and Patrick Counties; it was the parent of Carroll County. The books listed below contain inventories, wills, appraisements and guardians returns.
Grayson Wills, Estates, Appraisements, Inventories, Guardianships available to members of Virginia Pioneers
Indexes to Probate Records
- Wills and Estates 1796 to 1839
- Wills and Estates 1839 to 1849
Images of Wills and Estates 1796 to 1839
Alderman, Jacob | Allen, William | Anderson, James | Anderson, John
Baldwin, Thomas Ballard, Byrom | Beal, John Beason, William | Bennett, James | Blair, Thomas | Blevins, Dillon | Blevins, Jefferson | Blevins, John | Bobbitt, William | Boulson, Isaac | Bourn, William | Boyer, William H. | Brown, John | Bryant, John | Bryant, Thomas | Burrus, William | Buson, William Byrd, Samuel Byrd, William | Carnes, Abel | Causey, Jacob | Clark, Stephen | Coattrane, David | Coleman, Peter Collins, Muhlen | Combes, Zedekiah | Comer, John | Comer, John W. | Connoy, Barney | Cooley, Daniel | Cooley, David | Cooley, Peter | Corcan, Daniel | Cornett, James | Cornett, Sarah | Cornett, Sary | Coulson, Jacob | Coulson, John | Cox, David | Cox, Joshua | Curlan, William | Currie, William | Currin, George | Currin, Martha | Daniel, Nehemiah | Davis, Love | Davis, Moses | Deal, John | Dean, Anthony | Dickenson, John | Dickenson, Martin | Dickson, William | Dicky, Matthew | Dillard, Matthew | Dilyard, Edward | Drury, Lazarus | East, Drury | East, William | Edwards, Catharine | Edwards, Isaac | Edwards, James | Edwards, Jane | Edwards, John | Fanning, John | Farmer, Barnet | Farmer, James | Farr, John | Fields, Dennis | Frost, John | Fulton, David
- Garrot, Phillip | Gittins, Richard | Goad, Robert | Green, Isaac | Greer, William | Grigg, John A.
- Hail, Dudley | Hail, Stephen | Hall, Thomas | Hampton, Wade | Hanigan, Daniel | Harden, William | Hare, Lewis Harkin, Conrad | Harmon, Joseph | Harmon, Sary | Hays, Isaac | Hays, Jacob | Heatt, Joseph | Henson, Benjamin | Herman, Henry | Hetton, Elias | Hiatt, Amos | Hiatt, Asher | Hiatt, William | Hill, John | Holland, George Hooser, George | Houk, Peter | Huff, Peter | Isom, John | Jackson, Joseph | Johnson, Jacob | Johnson, Joseph | Jones, George | Jones, Minitree | Jones, Samuel | Jones, William | Jusan, Joseph
- Keith, George | Kelly, Eden | Kelly, John | Kenny, John |
- Larson, Richard | Leonard, William | Linton, William | Long, William | Lundy, John | Lundy, Richard | >Mallory, Moses | Mallory, Thomas | Martin, Jane | McCure, James | Mitchell, Stephen | Montgomery, Irvin | Morris, Isaac | Newman, C. | Nuckells, Charles | Ogle, Hercules | Ogle, Thomas | Osborne, Enoch | Ott, Sylvester | Parks, James | Patton, James | Patton, Nancy | Patton, Thomas | Perkins, Aria | Phillips, James | Phillips, Thomas | Phillips, Tobias | Phipps, Benjamin | Pool, John | Pool, William | Porter, David Andrew | Porter, James | Porter, Patience | Prater, Newman | Prichard, James | Pugh, David | Pugh, William | Raines, John | Rankin, William | Rector, Jacob | Rector, Mary | Rewes, George Jr. | Ring, Martin | Roberts, William | Robinson, John | Rowark, Timothy | Rudy, Jacob | Rudy, Julia | Russell, Charles | Sage, James | Sanderth, Benjamin | Schooley, James | Schooley, Samuel | Scudders, John | Sexton, Benjamin | Sexton, Prior | Shipp, John | Smith, Stephen | Stanfield, George | Stone, Jeremiah | Taylor, Thomas | Thomas, Owen | Thompson, Catherine
- Wair, James | Ward, Chesley | Ward, Drury | Ward, Nathan | Ward, Wills | Welch, John | Wells, Barney B. | Willet, Isaac | Williams, William | Wills, John | Worrell, Esau | Worrell, James | Wright, Abraham | Wright, H. | Young, Ezekiel | Young, William
Images of Wills and Estates 1839 to 1849
Beaman, Henry | Blevin, Jefferson | Blevin, Kate | Bouen, William | Causey, Barney | Cornelius, Francis | Cox, David | Cox, Enoch | Cox, James | Davis, Daniel | Davis, Morris | Davis, Peter | Delp, Peter | Dickenson, M. | Farmer, James | Fielder, Delia | Fisher, Jacob | Hail, Lewis | Hall, William | Harkin, Peter | Harrison, William | Houks, Thomas | Huff, Peter | Isom, Spencer | Johnston, Jabez Kester, Eli | Mabry, Charles | Martin, Joshua | Martin, William | Murphy, John Oglesby, William | Parsons, Robert | Perkins, Arias | Perkins, Stephen | Phillips, Tobias | Phipps, Benjamin | Phipps, James | Pool, William | Pugh, Robert | Raines, James | Raines, John | Ring, Hester | Ringo, Martin | Roberts, William | Russell, Philip | Shipp, James | Southerland, Alexander | Southerland, John | Southerland, Polly | Steagall, Martin | Stone, Micajah | Stone, William Sr. | Stoneman, James | Stoneman, Joshua | Stoneman, Lewis | Stoneman, Nancy | Ward, Esau | Watson, Michael | Williams, William | Worrell, Esau | Wright, John | Wright, Thompson | Yost, James | Young, Timothy
Need to know if your ancestors left a will or estate record? An easy, quick (and free) way to find out is to click on the links below.
County Records of 8 Genealogy Websites
|BUNDLE RATE for 8. Access to all eight websites plus additional data in other States: Bibles, genealogies, civil war records, colonial records, marriages, wills, estates, special collections, books written by renowned Georgia genealogist Jeannette Holland Austin.|
Membership to 8 Genealogy Websites - Reoccurring subscription with guaranteed low rate
|REOCCURRING SUBSCRIPTION WITH PAYPAL = $150 per year. Guaranteed low rate so long as your subscription continues to renew itself. You may unsubscribe at any time, however, to prevent the reoccurring charge, you must "cancel" before the renewal date. To do this, login to your PayPal account and select the cancel option.|
|About your password. Please allow up to 2 hours for your password. If not received in a timely manner, click to send reminder|
To join this blog, add your email below
Do the Magic Centipede
click here for video