The Battle Abbey in Richmond was created in 1907 according to The Atlanta Journal dated June 2, 1907. It was created as a Veteran's Memorial due to the generous gift of Charles Broadway Rouse of $100,000, however, not without long and vexatious ligitation. The gift was promised on the condition that an additional $100,000 be raised. Finally, the funds were raised and the memorial was built. Among the relics given was a cane of General Robert E. lee presented to Lee by Company D, 8th Virginia Cavalry.